Urban heritage - "Carnets de ville"

The "carnets de ville" suggest a walk through the history of 13 places of the City, which explain us its creation.

Carnets de ville

The architectural, urban, landscape and natural heritages are part of the agglomeration's attraction and the influence. Foundations of the city, they completely belong in the daily life and are inspirations for the urban projects sketching out the future.

The Strasbourg districts' richness has been studied through different steps, be it the heritage part of the Local Urban Plan (Plan local d’urbanisme), Neustadt's scientific inventory, or even the revision-extension of the Conservation and Valorisation Plan (Plan de sauvegarde et de mise en valeur).

This important work of expertise has lead to this publication, offering a view on the making of Strasbourg, the foundation stone for tomorrow's city. It has been designed around the documents used during this work, particularly maps, lithographs, drawings, prints, photographs and postcards mainly taken from Strasbourg's Museums Prints and Drawings Cabinet and Archives.

Do you have old photos, postcards, letters or other documents?


Share with us your archives which bear witness to a past era and thus help us to enrich our knowledge about the “old Strasbourg.”

  • You can send a scan or a photo of your archives at carnetsdeville@strasbourg.eu
  • You can also visit the Archives of Strasbourg, 32 route du Rhin, from Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm and on Tuesday from 1pm to 5pm to give us your documents. We will then give you back your documents.

Please notify us of your visit at archives@strasbourg.eu or by calling +33 (0)3 88 43 67 00.

Urban extensions over the centuries

Law school under construction The agglomeration gradually extends, creating new districts: the sector of the Place d’Austerlitz on the former barracks of the Porte des Bouchers, Esplanade on the former military lands of the Citadel, Hautepierre on farmlands on the outskirts of the city and Deux-Rives on the port wastelands to Kehl.


From the Porte des Bouchers to the Place d'Austerlitz

The Place d'Austerlitz during a military parade, lithography by D. Baltzer, 1850 The Porte des Bouchers was one of the two southern entrances of the city from the Middle Ages until it was pulled down in 1877. The Place d’Austerlitz is formed around the Caserne des Canonniers (the cannoneers' barracks) (1756); it has been home to many brasseries and hotels since the 19th century. The barracks being demolished (1910), it gave way to a new neighbourhood - the Swiss district - with major social housing projects. The tramway line to Kehl (1885) transformed the Place into a traffic node. The reign of the car has gradually disappeared with Rue d’Austerlitz being turned into a pedestrian zone (1992).

From the Vauban citadel to the Esplanade

Extract from the map of the city of Strasbourg and of the Citadel, 1822, VandernootBetween the city and the Rhine, the citadel built by Vauban in 1681 was forming an autonomous stronghold connected to the city by fortifications. This in-between area, comprising a military esplanade, barracks and training grounds, was vacated by the Army in 1958, leaving room for a modern university campus, a residential neighbourhood and the Citadel park.


Deux-Rives : the industrial basins of the new city towards the Rhine

The basins of Dusuzeau and of the Citadel, 1925 An answer to the increasing development of inland navigation, canals started to circumvent the city from 1882 on. Ports were created there but very quickly, a new port on the Rhine took over their activity. Now, these spaces are a place of development of new central functions for the agglomeration and offer the city new promenades and public spaces opened towards the Rhine.

The Rhine, from one bridge to the other

The long bridge on the Rhine, print by J. Van de Heyden, 1613A border for a long time, the Rhine has for 20 years now turned into the heart of the Strasbourg-Kehl agglomeration. Throughout history, many bridges have enabled relations between the two banks: the Middle Ages Lange Brücke replaced by the Pont Impérial (1808), doubled by the boat bridge (1816) until a road bridge for the tramway was opened (1897), the railway bridge (1861) and the Pont de l’Europe (1960) then the Deux-Rives footbridge for both pedestrians and cyclists (2004).

Hautepierre, a project for an ideal city

Model of urban planning of Hautepierre by P. Vivien, vers 1967, SERS plannerSeeking to be a "model of urban planning" after the defects in the first social housing district, the drawing of an hexagonal netting was a solution which set out to solve problems of circulation: the separation of traffic and pedestrians, with neighbourhood units of around 1,000 dwellings –the hexagonal netting– organised around a green, pedestrian centre, with local, community-based services and equipment, are the major principles of the development of Hautepierre.


On the edge of the former town

The Porte des Pêcheurs, the Pont Royal et the tower "Dans le Sac", from the Pont des Contades, lithography in color by 'I. Deroy, 1865Crossing the limits of the successive walls of Strasbourg, places became crossing points of the former town for its new extensions, especially at the quai des Pêcheurs, the banks of Ill in Neustadt and Halles – Marais Vert.




From the Port de la Tête Noire to the Quai des Pêcheurs

Quai des Pêcheurs, the wood yard and the church Saint-Paul, 1900When the fortification wall of the town which included the Krutenau was built in 1412, the bank of the Ill was used as a port, up until the 19th century. This port, known as the Tête Noire, had two docks: one for circulation and another which was wider and on a slight gradient to facilitate the transhipment of goods. Replacing the port activities, the docks were full of laundry boats (bateaux lavoirs) up to the post-war period.

From the Porte des Pêcheurs to the banks of the Neustadt

The fortification wall at Porte des Pêcheurs, map of the town and of the Citadel, 1800Since the construction of the fortification wall of the 5th extension of Strasbourg (1401- 1441), the Porte des Pêcheurs enabled access from the city to the Robertsau district. Flanked by a square tower in 1476, the Porte was dismantled with the wall in 1875 to enable the urban extension, the Neustadt. Taking advantage of the panorama offered by the Ill, the Neustadt transformed the banks into embankments and beautiful tree-lined promenades.

 

 

Les Halles - Marais Vert, modernity at the gates of the old town

The center towers, Halles, 1978 The transformation of the Faux-Rempart ditch into a navigation canal in 1836 also marked the beginning of the transformation of the produce-growing districts of Marais Vert into a major economic space for the city centre. This was to be continuously modernised and transformed; hosting the gas plant (1830-1930), the first railway station inside the city (1852) which then became a covered market (1883), the commercial and directional centre of Place des Halles (1972-1979).

From the old districts to the agglomeration's neighbourhood

Inauguration of the housing district la Canardière, summer 1961The rural areas are transformed into suburbs from the industrial era until the 20th century, giving birth to the suburb of Koenigshoffen, to the garden city of Stockfeld, to the garden district of Saint Florent, to the social housing district of la Canardière and to the Robertsau.



Neuhof, garden-cities of yesterday and today

<Competition of the garden-city project, architect Édouard Schimpf, 1911The former farming district, which grew around an estate exploited by the Jesuits in the 18th century, developed towards the south in 1910 with the construction of the remarkable garden city of Stockfeld, the result of English philanthropist Ebenezer Howard's innovative urban theories. It is still a living model for the new housing programmes carried out along the "Cours de la Forêt".

La Canardière, from a country castle to a social housing district in the town

The castle of the Meinau, drawing by C. Aldias, 1820From the 18th century, farming estates and leisure properties appeared in Meinau. In 1806, Schulmeister (a former spy of the emperor) had a grand château built in La Canardière and a park around a lake created. When it was sold in 1833, the park was transformed into a beetroot field and the château became a sugar plant. It was demolished in 1874. On the land bought by the City in 1923, the large development of La Canardière was built between 1958 and 1961, as well as La Meinau park in 1971.

Robertsau by the water

The Ill and the tilery of the Robertsau, drawing by Ch. Guérin, end of 18e century. The Ill and the Rhine frequently branching out in the Robertsau district, it developed with the settlement of fishermen, of gravel dredgers, of boat builders… The damming of the Rhine in the 19th century enabled a market garden to flourish: the district became the breadbasket of the town, with family gardens taking over in the 20th century. Water, present in all its forms in the Robertsau, offers the city one of its most beautiful panoramas around the European institutions.

 

Koenigshoffen, a former industrial district opening towards the Bruche and Ill plain

The Gruber brewery in Koenigshoffen, 1888 This district which appeared around 2,000 years ago, was reborn in the 19th century with the arrival of the railway and the construction of the first train station of Strasbourg in Koenigshoffen. The nature of the ground favoured the establishment of breweries, which had underground galleries dug to store ice. In 1885 David Gruber equipped his brewery with a refrigerated facility, meaning that the winter collection of ice from the flooded prairies of the domain was no longer necessary. Sold in 1933, it was turned into a garden housing estate with a park and sports facilities, precursors of the Ill-Bruche natural urban park.

Saint-Florent: a garden district in Cronenbourg

Competition of the Saint-Sauveur church, architect G. Oberthur, 1903 The urban extension at the beginning of the 20th century stems from older roads: the Mittelhausbergen and Oberhausbergen roads. The development of Cronenbourg is organised around schools, churches and their squares (Saint-Florent, Saint- Sauveur). A large space is given to the front gardens which embellish the landscape of the streets.