2017 a great success for the new illumination of the Strasbourg Cathedral
The new illumination of the Strasbourg Cathedral has received 7 different awards since its start in October 2016.
Jan 4, 2018
With the new illumination of the Cathedral, the City of Strasbourg has been distinguished by the following prizes in 2017 :
- Special mention of the jury of the Innovative Lighting Trophies organized by the French Lighting Association (AFE) and Territorial Efficiency ID, awarded in September 2017;
- ” Prix Lumière” awarded by the French Lighting Association Center East, awarded in April 2017;
- Third prize at the 2017 Lighting Competition organized by the SERCE (Syndicat des entreprises de génie électrique et climatique/ Union of Electrical and Climate Engineering Companies) and Philips Lighting.
Jean-Yves Soetinck, lighting designer of the “L’Acte Lumière” has also been awarded numerous prizes for the project, including :
- Awards of Excellence from the International Association of Lighting Designers, presented in May 2017 in Chicago;
- 1st prize in the International Code Award for Lighting Design, awarded in October 2017 in Venice
- Darc Award 2017, Structure High Budget category, awarded in September 2017 in London;
- International Awards, awarded by the "Architecture & Light" Magazine, in December in New York.
The highlighting of the cathedral helps to enhance the building, through high quality work, respectful of its identity and architecture, while being part of a logic of sustainable development.
The Strasbourg Cathedral is an emblematic symbol of Strasbourg around the world. Its four million visitors a year make it the second most visited cathedral in France after Notre-Dame de Paris.